Saturday, March 14, 2015

Farro with Sardines & Kale Salad



I came across this farro salad the other day and realized that it's been awhile since the last time I cooked with farro ! So here it comes..


I wanted to make the original recipe to begin with but I somehow changed my mind and ended up with my own version using similar ingredients and adding sardines as it's my hubby's favorite..

The recipe :    


Ingredients

1½ tbsp olive oil ( from sardines )
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1/2 cup farro
1 cube vegetable stock
1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar + few drops honey
1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
some feta cheese, crumbled


Instructions :


Place the farro & the veg cube in a medium saucepan and cover with water, leaving 2 inches of water above the farro.  Bring to boil, cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until chewy. Drain and set aside.

Heat oil in frying pan, add the garlic and sautee until lightly brown then add sardines and break them up a bit. Throw in kale and tomato and stir until the kale wilted. Put the mixture into a mixing bowl.

Add the farro into the bowl and mix everything throughly. Splash the cider & honey. Adjust seasonings. Then sprinkle with feta. Serve !

















No comments: